Finding the right drive shaft

Due to the electric converison the original driveshaft can’t be used. It has a bracket that attaches to the original engine. So I had to find out which one would fit my Elise. A visit to a workshop where they had the PG Elektrus in for repair solved my problem.

PG Elektrus by Michael Fröhlich

PG Elektrus by Michael Fröhlich

The PG Elektrus is based on the Lotus Club Racer.

PG Elektrus

PG Elektrus

The drive shaft in the PG Elektrus still had the label with partnumber on it. It showed B120D4004F which is correct for an Elise CR. I now know why the drive shafton my car failed, it is designed to cope with 136 BHP and 160Nm (118lb ft) instead of the 200 BHP and 225Nm (165 lb ft) of the AC-150.

A120D4004F

Driveshaft drawing A120D4004F

I 0rdered the drive shaft en found out that my car had an early model A120D4004F drive shaft. the new one B120D4004F has different CV joints.

Broken RH driveshaft

Last night I hit a speed bump and broke the RH driveshaft, i was putting my foot down quite hard in second gear. The back wheels did spin a little.

IMG_20160622_211010I stranded 500m from my home

IMG_20160622_182440

My wife was so nice to tow me home.

Towing

Towing

I asked the dealer which driveshaft would fit my Elise, they quoted the original driveshaft for an 2009 111R at €946,- with partnumber A120D0018F (#2).

A120D0018F

Driveshaft drawing A120D0018F

Due to the electric converison the original driveshaft can’t be used. It has a bracket (#11) that is attaches to the original engine. So I had to find out which one would fit my Elise.

Bad isolation

Aside

After the engine was pulled and the clutch assembly had been removed from the adapter plate the Pertinax isolation was visible.

Pertinax Isolation

Pertinax Isolation

The isolation aroud the boults where the cause of the charge error.

Fly wheel bolds

Fly wheel bolds

I made some Nylon isolators

New Nylon isolation

New Nylon isolation

Upper two battery packs removed

The body is removed and now the battery packs can be disconnected. Every pack has two wires attached which connect all 4 packs in series.in total there are 100 cells (3,7V) which results in a voltage of 375V. .

DC voltage of battery packs

DC voltage of battery packs

After the wires and the fiber cables where removed I lifted the packs with a forklift. the motor is mounted on to the original Lotus (Toyota) gearbox. The motor is on the right side under the black round cover.

Battery packs removed

Battery packs removed

Error Code 5 MOTOR ISOLATION

Recently the car wouldn’t start charging and Error Code 5 started showing up. It started intermittently and could be solved by unplugging and plugging the charge cable. Last week it wouldn’t charge at all. The cause of the problem is known, a kind of Pertinax (phenol formaldehyde) is used as isolator between the rotor and the flywheel, when Pertinax ages or gets damaged it gets hygroscopic. To replace te bad isolation the body shell and two battery packs need to be removed from the car.

Error code 5

chgresult_MOTOR_ISOLATION

Build a LOM interface

AC-Propulsion offers a LOM (Lithium Optical Monitor) diagnostic interface. This interface enables you to diagnose one or more LOM modules. I used this interface, which I borrowed, when I replaced a bad cell from the battery pack (see my other post).

AC-Propulsion LOM interface

Original AC-Propulsion LOM interface

The original interface is based on a CP2102 USB to serial chip, one Single Bilateral Analog Switch and a few transistors and resistors. The blue and black plastic connectors are from Industrial Fiber Optics (IF-E96E and IF-D91). I draw the schematic based on the original Interface and replaced the SMD components with normal sized components. I couldn’t find the DIL version of the SMD bidirectional binary switch (SN74LVC1G66DBVR) so I used the 4066 a Quad Bilateral Analog Switch. To prevent problems with the CP2102 chip I ordered a standard Micro USB to UART TTL Module 6Pin Serial Converter.

Lom interface v1.0

LOM interface v1.0

 

 

 

Mitsubishi charge cable

I wanted the Yakazi X1DT0027 CHL-02 ChaDeMo charge inlet but a stagering 650,- USD was a bit to much. I don’t know if I can get the thing running, so I tried to find a cheaper source. I got a charge inlet from a totalled Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for only 250 Euro.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV inlet

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV inlet

The high voltage wires used in the Mitsubishi Quick charge inlet are relatively thin. This is because the charge current of the PHEV is limited to 50A. But for my project it is just fine. If I get the ChaDeMO interface working I can always upgrade the wires to support the max current of 125A.