The amount of regeneration can be adjusted by supplying a voltage between 0 – 5V to the PEU. ECE decided to fix the voltage, at a safe level, with two resitors (2K2 and 3K3). I want to be able to adjust the regen,. E.g. in rainy conditions reduce the regen and in summer when using the Yokohama’s A048 increase the regen. I did some testing and it is unbelievable how much braking force is available when set to full regeneration.
After a few weeks driving in rainy conditions the car didn’t start charging when pluged in. First it whould start charging after a few un-pulg and plug cylcles. But last week it wouldn’t charge at all.
Using the PEU Utility to read the error from the PEU.
PEU Stat shows IS2, IS2 Means that there is an isolation problem with the battery, e..g if the battery isn’t floating.
This can be tested with te following procedure
1. Connect 100 K-ohm resistor from battery (+) terminal to chassis
and measure voltage across resistor. Caution: resistor may get hot.
2. Reconnect 100 K-ohm resistor from battery (-) terminal to chassis and measure voltage across resistor. Caution: resistor may get hot.
If the propulsion battery is truly floating with respect to chassis, the voltage across the resistor should be near zero in each of the two above tests.
The first test was good but the second failed, there was a negative voltage of 94 Volt between the Minus Terminal of the battery and the chassis.
I disconnected all battery packs and measured them one by one. On the last one, the one with the negitave terminal connected to the PEU, I measured again 94 Volt.
It turned out to be corrosion in the main connector of the PEU.
First step in testing the ChaDeMo project is done. Building a test battery pack 68 x 12V 10Ah cells which wil give 408V with a capacity of 8.1KWh. The box is fitted on a Euro pallet for easy lifting.
Test battery pack for CHaDeMo project
Totday I went for a test drive in a 2010 Volvo V50. The V50 was converted by All Green Vehicles (AGV) for a Dutch project “Rotterdam test electisch rijden“. I was surprised by the build quality. AGV did a very nice job in integrating the electric system into the Volvo.
Volvo V50 electric
The interior is almost unchanged, the gauges in the instrument cluster are replaced with AGV designed gauges. They look like OEM.
Volvo V50 gauges
Only two things didn’t work, the cruise control and the board computer. The clutchpedal has been removed. Under the hood many thinks changed.
Volvo V50 UQM controller
From left to right, UQM DC DC converter, UQM SR218 controller. In front there is part of the batteries.
Volvo V50 trunk
The inner joint of the early model (A120D4004F) has a fixed ball-type CV joint and the new model (B120D4004F) has a Tripod Plunging Joint.
The fixed ball-type consists of an inner ball race, six balls, a cage to position the balls, and an outer housing. Tracks machined in the inner race and outer housing allow the joint to flex. The inner race and outer housing form a ball-and-socket arrangement. The six balls serve both as bearings between the races and the means of transferring torque from one to the other.
Tripod plunging joints consists of a central drive part or tripod. This has three trunnion fitted with spherical rollers on needle bearings and an outer housing (sometimes called a tulip because if its three-lobed, flower-like appearance). On some tripod joints, the outer housing is closed, meaning the roller tracks are totally enclosed within it. On others, the tulip is open and the roller tracks are machined out of the housing.
Old and new CV joint
Fixed Ball-Type Joint
Tripod Plunging Joint.
Due to the electric converison the original driveshaft can’t be used. It has a bracket that attaches to the original engine. So I had to find out which one would fit my Elise. A visit to a workshop where they had the PG Elektrus in for repair solved my problem.
PG Elektrus by Michael Fröhlich
The PG Elektrus is based on the Lotus Club Racer.
The drive shaft in the PG Elektrus still had the label with partnumber on it. It showed B120D4004F which is correct for an Elise CR. I now know why the drive shafton my car failed, it is designed to cope with 136 BHP and 160Nm (118lb ft) instead of the 200 BHP and 225Nm (165 lb ft) of the AC-150.
Driveshaft drawing A120D4004F
I 0rdered the drive shaft en found out that my car had an early model A120D4004F drive shaft. the new one B120D4004F has different CV joints.
Last night I hit a speed bump and broke the RH driveshaft, i was putting my foot down quite hard in second gear. The back wheels did spin a little.
I stranded 500m from my home
My wife was so nice to tow me home.
I asked the dealer which driveshaft would fit my Elise, they quoted the original driveshaft for an 2009 111R at €946,- with partnumber A120D0018F (#2).
Driveshaft drawing A120D0018F
Due to the electric converison the original driveshaft can’t be used. It has a bracket (#11) that is attaches to the original engine. So I had to find out which one would fit my Elise.
After the engine was pulled and the clutch assembly had been removed from the adapter plate the Pertinax isolation was visible.
The isolation aroud the boults where the cause of the charge error.
Fly wheel bolds
I made some Nylon isolators
New Nylon isolation